How To Use a Metar Weather File
Metar files are used by X-Plane to set weather conditions while flying off-line. There are two ways to obtain a metar file:
1. Have X-Plane automatically download the metar file.
If you want Xplane to automatically download the metar file, you will need to do the following:
1. Run X-Plane.
If you want to manually download/use the metar file, you will need to do the following:1. Download the weather file and rename it "METAR.RWX" This file is already provided for you in all Cal Air Certification check rides.
2. Place the "METAR.RWX" file into the X-Plane folder (same folder that contains the X-Plane application.
3. Run X-Plane. 4. Go to the "Weather" Options located under the "Settings" menu.
5. Check the Periodically SCAN real weather file 'METAR.RWX' to set weathre in X-Plane box
6. Set the downlad and scan time to 5 min. for better weather updates.
If the Periodically DOWNLOAD real weather file 'METAR.RWX' from the internet box was checked after you started X-Plane, you will need to uncheck it, quit X-Plane, and start from step 1.
NOTAM: If you have XSQUAWKBOX (XSB), you will need to disable it otherwise X-Plane will NOT use the METAR.RWX file. To disable XSB, while in X-Plane, go to the "Plugins" menu, then to the "plugins admin" menu, and select the "enable/disable" option. Uncheck XSQUAWKBOX. Then next time you start X-Plane, XSB will be disabled, you will need to disable it each time you run X-Plane if you are using the METAR.RWX file.